A book that has been used with great success by countless amateur astronomers, this volume presents complete and detailed instructions and numerous diagrams showing how to construct a do-it-yourself telescope. No complicated mathematics are involved, and no prior knowledge of optics or astronomy is needed to follow the text's step-by-step directions, which also offer instruction in the fundamentals of practical optics.
1. Story of the Telescope
2. Materials and Equipment
3. Mirror Grinding
4. The Pitch Lap
6. The Paraboloid
7. The Diagonal
8. Tube Parts-Alignment-The Finder
9. Eyepieces and Related Problems
10. The Mounting
11. Aluminizing and Cleaning
12. Setting Circles-Equatorial Adjustment
13. Optical Principles-Atmosphere-Magnitudes
14. A Second Telescope. Appendixes. Index.
Reprint of the Sky Publishing, Cambridge, MA, 1973 edition.